Saturday, March 20, 2010

Introduction


Once upon a time I was falling in love
But now I'm only falling apart
Nothing I can say
A total eclipse of the heart

Remember that classic song by Bonnie Tyler? That's the inspiration for the name of my new blog: Total Eclipse of the Heart. The inspiration for the blog itself is a little heavier. But where are my manners? Allow me to first introduce myself.

My name is Andrea, I'm 28 years old (for another few months), and I was born and raised in Atlanta, GA. I spent almost ten years in different parts of Virginia during undergrad, a few working years and then business school, and then I moved up to New Jersey in pursuit of the career I'd worked very hard to land. I've been working in marketing for a global healthcare products company for about a year and a half, and I've loved (almost) every minute. It is the fast-paced, inspired professional environment I dreamed of during my three years working in the non-profit sector. Until five months ago, my biggest concerns were getting promoted as soon as possible and squeezing a modest amount of personal time into my long work weeks. Until five months ago, I was a healthy twenty-something that worked hard and played harder.

In the last five months, my life has changed drastically. I experienced acute heart failure on October 18, 2009, spent the subsequent month in the hospital and finally returned to work part-time March 1, 2010. Needless to say, my career has taken a backseat to my survival. I'll probably share more details at some point, but for now, I just want to introduce my story and greet any early readers. I've been reading some other great heart failure/transplant blogs and felt inspired to start one of my own.

Some that I like, by the way, are:

The Heartbeat Diaries - http://heartbeatdiaries.wordpress.com/
Helen. With the Heart. - http://helenwiththeheart.blogspot.com/
My 2nd HeartBeat - http://my2ndheartbeat.wordpress.com/

If I've managed to keep your attention thus far, congratulations to me. And to you, I will strive to deliver more interesting content in future posts. I am a witty cynic at my best and a reflective sap at my worst, and this blog promises to illustrate both ends of my personality spectrum. So thanks for reading. And I hope to see you again soon.

Cheers~


2 comments:

  1. Hello Andrea! Let me first introduce myself, I'm Linda Routt Barnes, your Dad's cousin. My mom and Dad were Billie and Herbert Routt. I found your Mom on FB and she told me about your blog so I thought I'd check it out! Yours is the first blog I've read, thanks for sharing this very private,personal time of your precious life! Please know that Teresa, Louis, myself and our families are thinking of you and praying for a healthy heart for you soon! I loved reading your blogs and see a lot of your parents in you! Take care and I'll be in touch soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, your Mom and I met in 1969 (!) when we worked together at VU hospital on C3100. She and your Dad shared a duplex with us on Westlawn Drive in Nashville. I have LONG admired your Mom's beauty AND brains. I have such fond memories of Scott's birth.I got her Christmas epistles for years, but I didn't write one in the last several years and her's no longer arrived. I was soooooo wanting to re-connect. So I found your Dad with Google and have now exchanged emails with Ann. I'm going to start at the beginning and read every word. I do so hope and pray that you are doing well.
    Much love, Nancy Vernon

    ReplyDelete