Sunday, January 16, 2011

Fashion Over Function?



Ever since having my transplant and developing diabetes, various people have been encouraging me to wear some sort of medical alert device. I agree that would be prudent, but I’m 29-years-old. I don’t want to rock some weird old lady bracelet all the time. I don’t want to be automatically stigmatized as “sick” upon meeting new people. The medical alert jewelry industry has developed quite a bit, some of the options are relatively attractive, but they all prominently display the medic alert symbol. I just can’t get on board with that. I almost always prioritize function over fashion, but I just can't do it here.

So I tried writing the critical information on the inside of my green “Donate Life” bracelet that I wear every day, but even the permanent marker I used did not stay on for long. Instead it left my wrist appearing to have a Sanskrit tattoo or something equally bizarre.

It occurred to me that I virtually always have one of two things with me – my keys and my work id tag. So today I researched personalized key chains and id tags to attach to both things. I found a solution in Road ID. The company was founded to provide runners with critical personal information to be used in case of an accident and now sells a variety of identifiers. I chose one I could affix to my key chain and to my work id. It features the date of my transplant, the fact that I am diabetic and emergency contact information.

I would encourage all of you runners, hikers, cyclists, diabetics, transplant recipients, asthmatics, etc. to check out http://www.roadid.com/. The story of how the company got started is pretty compelling.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Andrea!

    I actually recently learned about a bracelet that connects with a USB port and when plugged into any computer, it brings up medical history as well as insurance information. I thought it was a neat idea. Unfortunately it was the patent of the grandfather of one of my patients so I don't think it is out on the market yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, My wife got me a very stylish medical alert necklace at Things Remembered a few years back and had my name, transplant and date engraved on the back. There are options that can be worn discretely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are tattoos out of the question?

    ReplyDelete